Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Kondapalli Toys

Farmer with Bullock Cart
Kondapalli toys are known for their intricate and colorful hand carved designs on wood. This time when I went to India, I visited Kondapalli village to get some of these toys from the local artisans there. They have quaint little shops in front of their house filled with these wooden toys and it's also their workshop. It was fascinating to watch them carve beautiful characters out of wood with simple tools. This craftsmanship is passed on to next generations within the family.
I am always a big fan of handicrafts, so I picked up some items for my home and also as gifts for friends here. If you ever come across these, please do buy them. They make gorgeous decorative pieces and it would also be an encouragement to handicrafts.

Festival Elephants
Pen Stand
Dasavatharalu - Ten Avatars of Lord Vishnu

0 comments:

Post a Comment