Monday, October 17, 2011

Homegrown Mint & Limeade


Here in California, it doesn’t feel like fall. It’s still hot and my mint shrub is growing crazy. Growing mint at home is fairly easy. It’s a very low maintenance and hardy plant. There are many varieties but I prefer spear mint flavor so I always go with that. Pick a healthy shrub from the nursery and plant it in pot or directly in soil. It can grow in full/part sun. Keep it well irrigated and trim it regularly.
Mint has lot of health benefits. It’s good for digestion and rich in anti-oxidants. I will post the recipe of mint tea my husband makes some time later. It acts like decongestant for cold and cough.
Today, I gave my mint shrub a haircut J . I am going to make a big batch of Mint chutney and freeze it for later use. But first, I needed something to cool off. So, I made mint limeade, a slight variation of classic lemonade. I used few sprigs of mint, as I didn’t want it overwhelming. It came out good and had a cool subtle flavor of mint. It tasted like virgin Mojito and looks pretty with specks of green.


What you need:
(makes 2 servings - approx two 8 oz glasses)

Juice from 1 Lime
8 to 10 medium sized mint leaves
1 ½ tbsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ cups of water
1 cup of ice

Steps to Follow: 

  1. In a blender, add all ingredients.
  2. Blend it till mixed, just until mint leaves and ice is crushed.
  3. Pour it into glasses and top it with couple ice cubes to keep it cool.
  4. Garnish with mint leaves and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment