I made this sorbet to use the Fennel fronds from my backyard. I gotta say the marriage between strawberry and fennel works really well. Fennel gives a fresh note and mild liquorice flavor to this sorbet. I believe that we eat with our eyes first. The bright red color from strawberries looks so beautiful. It would be a delicious treat when weather warms up.
This is a simple freezer sorbet. I don't even have an ice cream machine at home. I am stopping myself from buying one because I think if I own it, I will end up making ice cream everyday :) Anyhow the point is, there is no need of ice cream machine to make this sorbet.
For adult only version, add a dash of rum to get that daiquiri flavor.
What you need:
2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
1/2 cup finely chopped fennel leaves
1/3 cup water
3 tbsp sugar ( I don't like mine too sweet, increase to 1/4th or 1/3rd cup based on your taste)
Steps to follow:
- Heat water and sugar together, just until sugar melts
- If using frozen strawberries, thaw them for a while. Blend strawberries, fennel leaves and sugar water together
- Pour this mixture in a bowl. Cover and freeze it
- Take the mixture out in couple hours, blend again and pop it back into the freezer. Repeat this twice to get a smoother sorbet.
- Scoop it in a serving bowl and enjoy